Friday, November 28, 2008

I've Been Knotty...

My thing for this month has been something I have tried to do in the past, but at which have never been successful. I actually learned how to crochet this month! My grandmother taught me to knit when I was ten or eleven, but I decided several years ago, for whatever reason I really needed to know how to crochet. I bought a book, but was never able to get it. My friend, Jacki taught me a simple pattern for a scarf, but I still couldn't really do it. I pushed through, though, and practiced (many, many frustrating hours of practice). Then, as if a light switch was turned on, I got it!!! So, I've been a crocheting fool. I also found a pattern for a different kind of scarf that I really like and have made several scarves. My next big project--afghans for my nephews!!!!

While this whole venture may seem rather mundane in nature, it truly is a huge step for me. Most of my life, whenever I encounter something hard or something at which I don't excel, I either give up or don't pursue it. I really wanted to give up several times, but by forcing myself to not give up, enabled me to be creative in a completely different way. I feel very domestic goddessy.

So, we're nearly at the end of my little experiment. Next month I'll recap--a State of the Union address, if you will. Plus, I need to come up with something completely amazing to cap this all off!

Until then, Happy Holidays!

1 comment:

Inspired Kara said...

Oh girl. I can NEVER get crocheting down. I understand your previous frustration! Now if only I could get it!