Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Sake to me

I really stepped out on a limb this month...I joined a book club. "But, Lara," you say. "You love to read. You've NEVER been in a book club?" Sadly, no. Here's the thing. I do love to read. I have a rather voracious appetite when it comes to reading. The thing is, I read for pleasure. Do I have perfect retention? No. Do I over analyze every nuance of wording. Typically not. I always figured joining a book club would take me back to the days when I would sit in my lit classes and dread being called upon, for fear of giving some absurd answer. So, when my friend, Amanda asked me to join, I actually said yes, much to my surprise.

We met Monday. Our book: Memoirs of a Geisha. I had wanted to read it for such a long time (and wanted to see the movie). So I accomplished both this month. What I loved about Memoirs was how detailed Arthur Golden's writing was. To write from the female perspective in such a way is really to his credit. I was drawn in by the cleverness of his heroine and learned about an aspect of a culture of which I knew so little.

The group itself is not extremely diverse, except in age (I, of course, am the oldest). I truly enjoyed hearing the other's opinions and was engaged in discourse. These are bright women and I am so glad I decided to join!

I highly recommend the book, btw. While I enjoyed the movie, I favor the book more.

Until next month!

No comments: