Friday, May 30, 2008

Здравствуйте! (Hello)

Yes, dear friends, I am finally undertaking learning Russian. I always thought I had a knack for languages. I loved learning Spanish when I was in high school and college--not that I've retained much. I can basically ask for a beer (which I wouldn't drink) and for the bathroom.

My impetus for learning Russian stems from growing up knowing I am named after Larissa ("Lara") Antipova from "Dr. Zhivago." I have always had a fascination with learning more about Russia. My job brings me into contact with Russian immigrants and I continue to be amazed by these wonderful people. That being said, I am not having an easy go of it. I hope that changes in time. I purchased some software and have barely been able to get through the first two lessons (I've had to repeat them several times). It does help that I am around enough native speakers that at least I hear it spoken on a daily basis. I hope I get beyond saying things like, "The girl eats rice" or "The bicycle is red." I guess I have to start somewhere, right?

До свидания until next month!

3 comments:

Katie said...

maybe you could ask the native speaking Russians for some help!

Lara said...

Katie, I do have a resident who helps :-)

Kara said...

I was told how to say "This Chinese tea is very delicious", But not spell it...